Skip to main content

Tips for green presents

EDIT November 30th, 2022: Hi there! I published a newer version of this article on my new blog, thegreentouch.net. Check it out!
 
 

Bonne année! Godt nytt år!

A good resolution for 2012 would be to write more on this blog (and find a job, but that's another question), especially because I have many things in mind. A topic I should definitely develop is home made soap. Remember? I started in June because I was looking for laundry soap, ecological and palm oil free and I didn't find any in Norway; that's why I started to make my owns. And I liked it so much that I decided to make more, to use in the shower and to offer.

Here are some of the soaps I gave away for Christmas.




And speaking about, I whish I had had time in December to tell you about my Christmas philosophy. I know it's a bit late but it somehow applies to birthdays too.

What I don't like about Christmas is that it is so materialistic! It's like you're forced to buy something, even if there are many chances that the person won't need/use/like it. But you have too anyway.

Some pieces of advice, for when you're looking for a present:

- don't buy at the last minute: you know you'll take whatever, so you don't come empty-handed. That is bad. A good gift is a well-thought gift. Take time to think about what will really please the person you offer it to.

- think second-hand. Doesn't mean it will look "cheap" or it will be in bad shape. The market is full of perfectly good products people don't want anymore, and it's a shame to buy and import a new one when what you need is available there. It's also a way to offer good quality/expensive gift you could not have afforded otherwise. We offered a small bike for a little girl's birthday ; we could afford it and she was the happiest in the world.

- think outside of the box, think virtual. Concert tickets, cinema, theatre, or even your time (massage, home-made meal and other favors). For christmas we offered: a one-hour skin care, and a meal in a very good restaurant. Two non material gifts that were very much appreciated.

- think home made. That's what was new in my philosophy this year and that is why I had no time at all to write in december: home made soaps, cosmetics and knitting. And I really felt christmas spirit since each of those gifts were especially made for one person. You can't put as much love in home made gifts as in other presents.

I will show you the gifts I made and other I received and found very inspiring.

The other bad side of christmas is the huge amount of waste created by present paper.

- if you don't rip the paper off, you can use it again (and again and again).

- think recycled material: catalogue pages and newspaper make very nice packages


 - by using strings and yarn you can avoid to use scotchtape and make very cute packages.


 I made the labels with old free postcards.

Hope all these tips will be useful and used in 2012. Happy new year!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1 - How: the saponification process

0 - Why and how to make your own soap?  1 - How: the saponification process    Soap is the result of a chemical reaction between fatty substances (oils, lard, vegetable butter) and sodium hydroxide also called lye or caustic soda (NaOH). Caustic soda is a dangerous substance and is to be used very carefully, but it is totally transformed through the process: none of it remains at the end of the chemical reaction...if you used the right quantity of lye. If you use more lye than required your soap will be "caustic" and irritating. Therefore it's recommended that you use less soda and more oil than the exact amount required for total saponification. Firstly, it's a safety precaution: using more oil than necessary for the chemical reaction is a guarantee that the lye will be entirely transformed through the process. And more than that, with extra oil (nonsaponified - remaining oil), your soap will be even softer on the skin. This extra oil is called "sup

How to recycle a fleece jacket?

Fleece is a very useful material and there are many things you can turn an old jacket into, like make up pads ( see previous article ), baby wipes, dusters and so on. Every piece of fleece is reusable, so the first step is to remove all the threads. It's even more interesting because where the fleece was folded (hemline) or inside the pocket, the fabric has remained very soft, perfect to use on the skin. I think, other parts, more "exposed" are still soft enough. You might see the different textures by clicking on the picture. Once the fleece is ready, there is nothing easier: you just have to cut the shape you want, and it's done. Small squares for facial pad s, bigger pieces for baby wipes ...or duster . I didn't expect it the first time I tried but fleece is a very efficient dust catcher. As efficient, maybe more than microfiber cloth . That's why I use it to clean the floor too. I cut a long rectangle so I can tie it on my specia

Why and how to make your own soap?

As I explained it in a previous article, I came to home-made soap because I wanted to control the ingredients (no palm oil) and their origin (as few kilometres as possible), so as to use the most ecological soap for my laundry liquid . But there are other valid reasons to make soap for yourself: some oils are naturally soft and good for the skin, others you will choose because they give extra lather and foam to the soap, or even because they just give a special colour you like. In a word: home-made soap is very good for the skin (also because it naturally contains glycerine, which is otherwise removed from industrial soaps) and it's even better because it's customized to your needs. Another good reason to make your own soap is the price. Finally, it's a very creative (and addictive!) activity, which may explain why soap makers make more soap than they can use. Soap making is a complex and very rich art. It’s a great hobby, and you probably won't offer anyth