Skip to main content

Salad bar, a lunch experience

Initially published on 24/05/2011



I usually bring food from home at work (not in matpakke paper which is a waste but in a plastic box). Not something I prepared on purpose but leftovers from the day before's dinner. Yep, inFrance, every meal is "middag", as I understood it meant "warm meal".


I think I just found where I would buy my lunch in case of "no leftovers":
Coop and Ica in Tromsø sentrum offer "salad bar". You take a (throwable plastic) box, fill it with whatever you like and then pay the price per (kilo)gram. The more you fill, the more you pay.

It's 129 kr per kilo at Coop (the one by Stortorget) and 119 at Ica. Cheaper then, but not that different. The food is basically the same: paprika, pasta salad, corn, cucumber, ham cubes, feta (Oh yeah!!:)) and so on.
The advantage when you are not a big eater is that you really eat what you want. I paid 30 kr which I think is quite cheap (I don't have a big appetite and buffet were never worth it for me). Last time I bought a sandwich I couldn't even finish it! So this may be the best solution for me.
The fact that it is healthy is a bonus too.

However I know it would be better to buy locally-grown vegetables (I prefer that rather than an organic paprika from argentina), but this is really really hard to put into practise in Norway. Maybe at the next farmer market on June 18th?

The other drawback I see with the salad bar is the use of plastic box. But the solution is to reuse the same box several times (=zero waste). You would have to wash it anyway to recycle it (they ask for it at least in Tromsø) and if you wash it with COLD water it is still the most ecological solution. Not true anymore with hot water; plus, it is never recommended to wash plastic with hot water. It "opens" the plastic and make the fat in it.

All of this to say that reuse the same box they sell is much more discreet than bringing your own packaging: reused ziplock for example, or a reusable plastic box. But since you pay the weight, packaging included... This is another good reasons to chose the smallest (throwable) box what you need can fit in it. How much plastic did I pay today among my 240grams? I wanted to reuse my small box from Coop but they don't have it at Ica (and I thought it would look suspicious), so I took the huge one. So maybe Coop is cheaper after all.

Another solution, share a big box with a colleague (if you have the same tastes).
To sum up: tasty, healthy, and ecological enough (if I reuse the box) for lunch. Adopted!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eco-take care of your skin, that's easy & cheap

Oil is your best friend! (see below) Are you sick of using creams you don't understand half of the ingredients (usually not a good sign), and which your skin does not seem to appreciate? Here are easy solutions to replace them. You can first decide to buy organic cosmetics, but since it's rather expensive I understand why many people give up. But at least you know that stuff you put on your skin are healthy.  You can also decide to make your own cosmetics yourself ; it is not that hard to find raw material but it doesn't mean it's easy to to make a high quality cream. That requires knowledge on your type of skin, on the ingredients you use, on chemistry (a cream is an emulsion) and on hygiene precautions. The great advantage is that you know exactly what's in it and choose the ingredients according to what you really need. On this blog I will only speak of easy stuff to make, like lip balm for example. But as regards skin care, I like simplicity, wh...

Why and how to make your own soap?

As I explained it in a previous article, I came to home-made soap because I wanted to control the ingredients (no palm oil) and their origin (as few kilometres as possible), so as to use the most ecological soap for my laundry liquid . But there are other valid reasons to make soap for yourself: some oils are naturally soft and good for the skin, others you will choose because they give extra lather and foam to the soap, or even because they just give a special colour you like. In a word: home-made soap is very good for the skin (also because it naturally contains glycerine, which is otherwise removed from industrial soaps) and it's even better because it's customized to your needs. Another good reason to make your own soap is the price. Finally, it's a very creative (and addictive!) activity, which may explain why soap makers make more soap than they can use. Soap making is a complex and very rich art. It’s a great hobby, and you probably won't offer anyth...

Home-made toothpaste

Initially published on 21/09/2011 Have you ever seen the movie Recipes for disaster ? This is about a finnish family who tries to live without petroleum and products made of it: no more gasolin, plastic package (probably the hardest part), etc. The problem is that petroleum is a very small part of the picture and some efforts they make, like using biofuel or buying some kind of carbon offset to compensate their carbon-emitting electricity, are counterproductive. The worse to me is still the father's conclusion: "it's impossible to live without petroleum because you cannot replace toothpaste"... WRONG!! And maybe he thought he was only talking about plastic but the paste itself contains petrochemicals. Another good reason to prove him wrong. Our current toothpastes did not exist a century ago. They actually appeared at the same time as dietary excesses and food with a high rate of sugar. Extra fluor toothpastes were made to compensate ...