Skip to main content

Crème brûlée with homemade vanilla sugar and meringues

Initially published on 2/10/2011

For a few weeks I've had some time to cook desserts in the afternoon, especially egg creams with vanilla taste. 

After trying our French version of custard (we call it "English cream"), I made a "crème brûlée" yesterday. I did not use any vanilla bean, imported from over the ocean, neither artificial vanilla sugar. I replaced all the sugar of the recipe by my vanilla-perfumed sugar I mentioned here, and I must say I am pretty satisfied with the taste, almost like real vanilla!

I also made meringues, not that it required a vanilla taste, but it was just a way to not waste the egg whites. The good part about it, is that both recipes cooked at the same temperature and almost at the same time (what an optimal use of energy!)

And now the recipes, in the order you should make them!

Crème brûlée (original recipe from marmiton.org)

- 3 eggyolks
- 1 dl (full-fat) milk --> I actually put 0,2 dl (see below)
- 2,5 dl liquid cream --> I had more than that, 3,3 dl (an entire carton). So I put everything and completed with milk to reach 3,5 dl
- 50g sugar --> I suppressed the artificial vanilla powder and used only my naturally flavored sugar

Separate the whites from the yolks and save the whites for later. Mix the yolks with mikl and cream and then add sugar. Mix well.

Pour this liquid into ramekins and put them in the oven, at 120° C (no need to pre heat it). I left them there for exactly 50 minutes (the original recipe recommended 30-40 mn). 

The cream is not "brûlée" (burnt) yet: you can either add sugar (preferably brown sugar) on the top just at the end of the cooking time or, as we did, wait until the last moment a put the ramekins one or two minutes just under the grill of the opened oven, at 200°C (not optimal use of energy but at least it warmed up the flat!).

Meringues

- 4 eggwhites --> I had only 3 (see crème brûlée)...
- 250 g (caster or icing) sugar -->...so I adapted the sugar and put 188 g

It is important to finish with this recipe because your whites MUST be at room temperature ; remember, you saved them outside of the fridge while beginning the crème brûlée.

You may add a pinch of salt before stiffly beating the whites. When they went stiff enough you can start adding gradually the sugar, while you keep mixing.
At this point of the recipe you are supposed to pre heat the oven; good news, you already have, with the crème brûlée inside (120° C)!

Make piles on a baking sheet covered by greaseproof paper (or reuseable silicon sheet ; did not find out where to by it yet). Put in the oven for 30 min- 1 hour (1 hour and 15 minutes for me).

Sorry I don't have any pictures to show you, but the fact they were all eaten by the evening proves it's a good recipe!

Bon appétit !

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1 - How: the saponification process

0 - Why and how to make your own soap?  1 - How: the saponification process    Soap is the result of a chemical reaction between fatty substances (oils, lard, vegetable butter) and sodium hydroxide also called lye or caustic soda (NaOH). Caustic soda is a dangerous substance and is to be used very carefully, but it is totally transformed through the process: none of it remains at the end of the chemical reaction...if you used the right quantity of lye. If you use more lye than required your soap will be "caustic" and irritating. Therefore it's recommended that you use less soda and more oil than the exact amount required for total saponification. Firstly, it's a safety precaution: using more oil than necessary for the chemical reaction is a guarantee that the lye will be entirely transformed through the process. And more than that, with extra oil (nonsaponified - remaining oil), your soap will be even softer on the skin. This extra oil is called "sup

How to recycle a fleece jacket?

Fleece is a very useful material and there are many things you can turn an old jacket into, like make up pads ( see previous article ), baby wipes, dusters and so on. Every piece of fleece is reusable, so the first step is to remove all the threads. It's even more interesting because where the fleece was folded (hemline) or inside the pocket, the fabric has remained very soft, perfect to use on the skin. I think, other parts, more "exposed" are still soft enough. You might see the different textures by clicking on the picture. Once the fleece is ready, there is nothing easier: you just have to cut the shape you want, and it's done. Small squares for facial pad s, bigger pieces for baby wipes ...or duster . I didn't expect it the first time I tried but fleece is a very efficient dust catcher. As efficient, maybe more than microfiber cloth . That's why I use it to clean the floor too. I cut a long rectangle so I can tie it on my specia

Why and how to make your own soap?

As I explained it in a previous article, I came to home-made soap because I wanted to control the ingredients (no palm oil) and their origin (as few kilometres as possible), so as to use the most ecological soap for my laundry liquid . But there are other valid reasons to make soap for yourself: some oils are naturally soft and good for the skin, others you will choose because they give extra lather and foam to the soap, or even because they just give a special colour you like. In a word: home-made soap is very good for the skin (also because it naturally contains glycerine, which is otherwise removed from industrial soaps) and it's even better because it's customized to your needs. Another good reason to make your own soap is the price. Finally, it's a very creative (and addictive!) activity, which may explain why soap makers make more soap than they can use. Soap making is a complex and very rich art. It’s a great hobby, and you probably won't offer anyth